The George County Sheriff's Department continuously seeks highly qualified, professional and dedicated individuals to join our staff. If you're that individual, you are encouraged to apply.
Applications can be picked up at the Sheriff's Office, located in the George County Courthouse, or see link below.
To Apply For Employment You Must Submit The Following:
1. Completed Application
2. Color Photo Of Yourself
3. Copy Of Your Driver's License
4. Copy of Your Social Security Card
Some Requirements Include (Varies Depending On Specific Position):
1. Must be at least 21 years old.
2. Must have a valid Mississippi Driver's License.
3. Must consent to finger printing.
5. Must consent to a background investigation.
6. Must consent to a drug screening.
7. Must have good references documenting good moral character, personal integrity and professional and ethical work related performance.
The George County Sheriff's Department is an equal opportunity employer, accepting applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Provide law enforcement services to the citizens of George County, with primary responsibilities to the unincorporated areas, including the performance of the basic police tasks of protecting life and property, preserving the peace, preventing and suppressing crime, and the apprehension of violators of the law.
Each Deputy individually and collectively is responsible for the following:
- Enforcing Federal, State and County statutes and ordinances
- Initial investigation of reported or observed crimes
- Recording and preserving evidence found at the crime scene
- Initial investigation of reports of missing, found or unidentified persons
- Responding to scenes of emergencies
- Arresting on-sight violators
- Recovering property
- Investigating complaints received from the public
- Patrolling to prevent and suppress crime
- Providing assistance to other public agencies pending the elimination of health or safety hazards
- Maintaining law and order at public gatherings
- Preparing reports of incidents investigated or observed
- Observing and inspecting drivers, vehicles and roadways
- Supervising traffic movement
- Checking and patrolling areas of high traffic hazard
- Arresting or citing traffic violators, issuing warnings on minor violations
- Preserving evidence
- Testifying in court
- Providing traffic information on request of the public
- Investigating traffic accidents Perform other duties as assigned.
Age: 21 years of age
Education: High school diploma or GED
Other: Applicants must pass a physical exam, physical fitness test, background investigation, drug screen, psychological test, polygraph, and interviews prior to appointment. Applicants shall be required to meet State Minimum Standards for Law Enforcement Officers, and be able to complete State standard minimum training requirements after initial hiring.
Dispatchers are non-sworn employees of the George County Sheriff's Office. They must be able to perform a variety of tasks to ensure the 24 hour, seven day a week operation of the communications center of the George County Sheriff's Office. All work must conform to established laws, policies, and procedures of the George County Sheriff's Office, and to professional standards of law enforcement administration and criminal justice.
Dispatchers individually or collectively must be able to perform the following:
Operate a multi-line phone to answer incoming calls or place outgoing calls in order to assist the citizens and visitors of George County.
Meet certification requirements to use various criminal justice information databases to check, verify, enter, or remove wanted individuals.
Enter and retrieve information from the Sheriff's Office records management system.
Operate sophisticated two-way radio systems.
Utilize a state of the art computer aided dispatching and mapping system to coordinate officer functions and maintain records.
Rapidly and accurately verify information and comprehend, recall, record, and relay oral information among other units within the Sheriff's Office or other law enforcement agencies.
Process information while operating computers, radios, and telephones simultaneously.
Work day, evening, or night shifts including holidays and weekends as needed to staff the communications center. Overtime hours may be required.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Age: 18 years of age or older
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Other: Must be able to demonstrate the ability to type a minimum of 35 words per minute, successfully complete an interview, background investigation, polygraph examination, personality inventory, drug screen, and medical examination.
George County Sheriff Employment Application
Correctional Facility Employment Application